Latinos in Architecture (LiA), a committee of the San Francisco Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, is proud to announce PERSPECTIVAS 2019—an opportunity for design professionals to showcase built and unbuilt design work to the Bay Area community at-large. This exhibition aims to display the work and talent of architecture professionals, designers, artists, students and related fields practicing in San Francisco and the Greater Bay Area, acknowledging that architects are not alone in the design process. Thus we seek work that represents these collaborations and invite the participation of those who have a correlation with Latin America in some aspect of their profession, work, influence, etc. The exhibit is organized as part of Architecture + the City festival programs presented by AIA San Francisco and the Center for Architecture + Design, hosted by California College of the Arts in late September at the CCA Nave (download the floor plan). Submissions are due Friday, August 23, 2019.
This year's Architecture + the City festival theme is We the City. PERSPECTIVAS 2019 will look for work that addresses any of the following:
- Existing and Conceptual work that represents the shaping of a city.
- The complexity of a city in its interiors and exteriors, urban fabric and landscape, recognition of scales and diversity.
- Examples of how architecture or other projects are addressing the challenges of cultural diversity.
- The Recognition of these challenges as opportunities to create new solutions.
- How social influence affects in the remake of the city.
- New ways of working and living and experiencing the city in different scales.
- Connection or disconnection of the new and the old.
- Examples of what makes our city livable and sustainable.
- Projects are selected based on their design process, quality and/or to the environment.
PRELIMINARY ENTRY SUBMISSION
Registration/Call for Entries: Now until Friday, August 23, 2019, 11:59 p.m. PST.
Projects are selected based on their design process, quality and/or impact to the urban environment. Open to architects, landscape designers, urban planners, interior designers, design professionals, artists, and students practicing in San Francisco and the Bay Area.
Registration is required before material can be submitted. After completing the online registration, submission instructions will follow in your confirmation email.
Submit projects or concepts, built or unbuilt, developed within the last five years.
Submission format requirements based off of the final exhibition media described below:
1. One (1) portrait format, 24” x 42” presentation mounted on bioboard no thicker than 1/2 inch. The entrant's presentation board is to be labeled on the reverse side with the entrant’s name, address, email address and phone number. Content may include:
- Sketches, drawings and photographs of design projects or concepts
- Plans, sections, perspective views
- Renderings, paintings, prints
(Send images or scans)
2. Models, 3d prints, mock-up models (submit image and size)
3. Sculptures (send image and overall dimensions)
4. Video - maximum of 5 minutes (send high resolution, digital format—Quicktime .mov preferred)
Written Statement: Short description (300-400 words) of the work submitted.
Professional Headshot: 300 dpi, black & white JPEG.
Short paragraph (100-150 words) with biographical information by email. Please send an editable format (i.e. Word) as additional editing may be needed to fit the design of exhibitors’ board.
Additional documents will follow for the participants' agreement for use of the digital materials to promote the exhibition programs.
Upon eligibility, LiA will confirm the address where you will be mailing your work(s). VIDEO submissions should be sent via Google Drive, WeTransfer, FTP or website links. LiA is not responsible nor liable for any entries that arrive late or damaged due to shipping.
Registration / Call for Entries: open now through Friday, August 9, 11:59 PM PST
Notification to Candidates of Selection: Friday, August 16
Exhibition setup: September 15-17
PERSPECTIVAS 2019 Exhibition Inauguration Party: September 19
Exhibition run closes: September 27
Deinstallation:September 27 + 28
QUESTIONS regarding Call for Entries or requirements can be emailed to email@example.com.
EXHIBITION CURATORS and CORE LEADERSHIP TEAM
Nora Enriquez, Intl. AIA, PERSPECTIVAS 2019 Exhibition Liaison/Curator
Beatriz Martinez, PERSPECTIVAS 2019 Exhibition Liaison
Iara Bachmann, AIA, LiA Founding Chair
Homer Perez, AIA, 2019 LiA Chair
Julissa Sagrero, Assoc. AIA, Social / Communications Liaison
Irving Gonzales, AIA, 2016 AIASF Board President, 2019 AIASF Liaison
Daniel Perez, AIA, 2019 AIASF Board Member, 2018 AIASF Liaison
Sandra Vivanco, AIA, 2019 Leadership Liaison, CCA-OWA Liaison
Wayne Barcelon, AIA, 2019 Leadership Liaison
If you have an AIASF web account, be sure to sign in first to activate your member benefit rate.
First-time registrants: if you have not already done so, please create an account on aiasf.org (you will need this to sign up for all AIA events); AIASF members will automatically have a profile on our website. You do not need to be an AIA member to register with the website or to attend events—everyone is welcome. While logged into your account, complete your registration by clicking the "register" button at the top right of this page.
If you have any difficulties creating a profile on the AIASF website, logging in, or registering for an event, please contact the AIASF reception at firstname.lastname@example.org.