Founded in 1881, AIA San Francisco today represents more than 2,000 architects, designers and affiliated professionals in the Bay Area. As the largest chapter in California, members enjoy access to a network of leaders and resources that help promote architecture and design.
Raising dues is never the kind of action that a Board of Directors seeks. Yet in 2013, the AIA San Francisco Board decided to raise dues for 2014. The Board made this difficult decision in response to a rent increase that will more than double AIASF’s rent.
The Board and its real estate agents considered many options- moving to a ground floor space or moving to a less central neighborhood. At the end of the day, the Board of Directors determined that while the rent increase for the Hallidie Building is significant, cost of comparable locations, coupled with the costs of moving and renovation, made staying in the Hallidie Building the least expensive and preferred alternative.
The Board approved raising dues for AIASF but simultaneously made the commitment to seek ways of significantly lowering state and national dues- which, we hope, will lower the overall cost of membership.
As always, we welcome your comments.
President, AIA San Francisco Board of Directors
|You are||Membership Type||Application||2014 Dues|
|Licensed to practice in the US||Architect (AIA)||Join online (copy of current license required)||$629|
|Licensed to practice outside of the US||International Associate (Int'l Assoc. AIA)||Join online (copy of current license required)||$311|
|New Graduate*||Associate (Associate AIA)||Join online (diploma or transcipt required)||$0|
|Currently enrolled in the Intern Development Program (IDP) and working toward licensure||Associate AIA||Join online||$311|
|Currently work under the supervision of an architect or hold a degree in architecture||Associate AIA||Join online||$311|
|Faculty member in a university program in architecture||Associate AIA||Join online||$311|
|Member of another chapter who also wants AIASF benefits||Component Affiliate||Component Affiliate application||$275|
|Individual working in a field other than architecture||Allied||Allied application||$385|
|Firm in an industry other than architecture||Corporate Allied||Corporate Allied application||$1035|
|Student studying architecture or an affiliated major||Student||Student application (proof of full time student status required)||$15|
*New graduates are eligible for up to 18 months of free membership starting on the date of their graduation.
Why Become a Member?
- Increased visibility through access to a personal and firm profile in our online membership directory.
- Networking opportunities with key business contacts and industry professionals.
- Local access to over 50 educational programs per month and exclusive member events.
- Enjoy discounts to programs, events and competitions, including Design Awards and Small Firms, Great Projects resource directory.
- AIA contract documents discount of up to 34%.
- Complimentary subscription to ARCHITECT, the magazine of the AIA.
- Free resume postings on AIA San Francisco.
- Join or chair a committee or member community to connect with like-minded professionals to learn, collaborate, and share ideas in areas of professional interest.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car discounts through AIASF's corporate account #23A5213.
- Discounted workers compensation programs with the State Fund.
- AIA Trust Insurance and Financial Programs