Made in Marin: Reed House + Mill Valley Design District
Join us for this guided tour of Reed House in Mill Valley with the first tour beginning at 11 a.m. and the last tour at 3 PM. No entry after 3:15 PM.
This year's Home Tour HQ takes place at Henrybuilt where you can pick up tickets, socialize, and hear a quick teaser about the featured home. Be sure to visit our partners at the Mill Valley Design District for additional fun and surprises!
About the Home: Reed House – Mill Valley
This Mill Valley project features a groundbreaking prefabricated bamboo panel structural wall system that eliminates traditional wood framing. The clients sought a design that complemented not only their environmental ethic but also their need for a healthy home. 361 Architecture assembled a collaborative team that worked together to develop a solution that met the clients’ needs. The result is a highly sustainable, super energy efficient and healthy home with net zero energy goals. The project concept focused on wrapping the buildings and gardens around the central patio and pool, with views from each room. At the north end of the patio sits a detached studio comprised of two parts: an artist studio and a writing studio, supporting the respective professions of the clients.
The list of goals included:
- Solar power
- Super energy efficient building envelope
- A focus on sustainable building materials
- Gray water reuse system
- Drought resistant landscaping with bioswales to protect the adjacent creek
About the Reed House Design Team
Daniel Weaver | 361 Architecture
Gary Roth | Roth LaMotte Landscape Architecture
David Hill | Spellbound Construction
Katie Hollbacher | Beyond Efficiency
About Home Tour HQ
Henrybuilt was founded in 2001 in a shed on Vashon Island in Washington State. Since then a group of gifted and committed people from a wide range of disciplines - with a willingness to roll up their sleeves and commit to doing exceptional work - have built Henrybuilt into a distinctive American company. They operate offices and showrooms in New York City, Mill Valley, California, and Seattle, Washington. All of our products are built in our 45,000-square-foot production facility in Seattle. They have completed over 4000 projects in every state, Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.
Please note that there are three guided tours with each one starting promptly at 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
Doors open/Registration/Ticket pick-up
Henrybuilt, 356 Miller Avenue, Mill Valley
Annabelle Udo-O’Malley, AIA San Francisco
Janet Hall, Henrybuilt
Daniel Weaver, 361 Architecture
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Reed Street Home Tour #1
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
Reed Street Home Tour #2
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Reed Street Home Tour #3
Pricing and Registration
- AIASF Member: $20
- General Admission + onsite sales: $30
- AIASF Student Member: $15
If you have not already done so, please create an account on the aiasf.org website here (you will need this to sign up for all AIA events); AIASF members will automatically have a profile on the AIASF website. You do not need to be an AIA member to register with the website or to attend events - everyone is welcome. While logged into your account, complete your registration by clicking the "register" button at the top right of this page.
If you have any difficulties creating a profile on the AIASF website, logging in, or registering for an event, please contact the AIASF reception at email@example.com.
Home Tour Regulations + Guidelines
- No parking at the home; it is encouraged to walk (approximately 7-8 minute walk); route has a slight incline.
- Small passenger vehicle will be available to shuttle attendees from the headquarters to the home.
- NO children under 12 years of age are permitted on the tour.
- NO photography is allowed anywhere on the tour in an effort to protect our partner's privacy.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes and clean foot apparel. You will be required to remove your shoes prior to entering the house.
- Do NOT open anything that is closed or make use of any of the furniture.
- Do NOT bring food or drinks into the home.
- NO smoking is permitted in the home or anywhere on the property.
- Restrooms in the home are NOT available for public use; there is a restroom for attendees located at the Home Tour HQ.
- We are guests in the home. We ask that you respect these guidelines and treat each home as though it was your own.
- There is parking near the Home Tour HQ but please note that although there will be no active construction in the area on the day of the tour, please heed any street signs.
- We also recommend carpooling and bringing along a map as a supplement to this program.
- Tickets are transferable but are non-refundable.
- Tour goes on rain or shine.