The Urban School of San Francisco Tour (1.5 HSWs/IDP)
- The Urban School
1563 Page Street
San Francisco, CA
View on Google Maps
$10 AIA Members Only
- Next Steps
- Register Here
Join Mark Salkind, Head of School; Katie Catassi, Director of Facilities and Liza Pannozzo, AIA for an AIA members only tour of the newly redesigned Urban School of San Francisco. The Urban School main building features 25 classrooms, public spaces (e.g. student center, theater) and offices in 48,500 square feet of space. There are 375 students in grades 9-12, and approximately 80 teachers, administrators and staff in the building. Urban is located adjacent to Golden Gate Park in the historic Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco.
The Urban School’s green building practices include:
- Less than 25% of students/staff commute in Single Occupancy Vehicles.
- Implemented a full-scale integrated pest management program utilizing only non-toxic controls.
- Water use baseline per code is 1,126.73 kGals. The Urban School fixtures are calculated to us approximately 1,000 kGals per year. So we have calculated an annual water savings of 126,000 gallons.
- Energy Star rating of 97 (a rating of 75 or better indicates top performance, per US EPA).
- Implemented energy efficiency measures to reduce the annual greenhouse gas emissions by 1.457 metric tons of CO2
- Engaged in a renewable energy certificate (REC’s) to offset 100% of the schools energy use for the next two years
Earn IDP Experience Hours
If you are an IDP candidate, you can earn up to 40 supplemental experience hours toward Construction Phase: Observation by attending an AIASF tour. The project architect can sign off on your hours. Please email Michelle Railsback with any questions.